Career Development Framework
Client challenge - Career Development Framework
A pharmaceutical company, with global customers and c.150 employees based in the UK, found its ability to effectively manage its staff could not keep pace with their rapid expansion since its start up a decade before. A key business challenge for the client was the retention of key scientific staff and the ability of line managers to manage staff effectively.
When the client engaged Insight HR Solutions to help it find and implement a solution, we worked with stakeholders to understand what was really happening and propose a solution which would address their needs. Gaining Executive endorsement to develop clear career pathways, then working in partnership with the organisation (establishing a working group made up of a cross section of employees) to create engagement and ownership for the project was key.
Working with this group we designed a Career Development Framework, which identified distinct career paths, career stages and for the first time recognised a scientific career path. Competencies (which were new to the organisation) were developed to underpin the Framework. A Career Excellence Model, which explained individual responsibilities for personal and career development together with company support, and a Learning and Development Manual to support staff development, were also developed and implemented into the business.
Impact on client’s business
The client has recognised the following benefits:
- Increased staff retention by ensuring the right people are in the right roles e.g. staff who were less suited to management moved into newly created technical/scientific roles.
- Motivated staff by creating both technical and management career opportunities.
- Empowered staff to manage their own careers, creating a culture of personal responsibility for development.
- Managers were supported to deal effectively with staff. The competencies provided an objective framework to hold meaningful discussions on performance and development.
- Competencies were embedded within the business and used in recruitment and selection, succession planning, performance management and to support individual development.
- The impact of this project was recognised at the inaugural UK Life Sciences Skills Awards in 2013 where our client won the ‘[SME] Employer of the year award’.