Development of Competency Framework
Client challenge – Development of Competency Framework
As the collective and collaborative skills forum for the sector, the client asked us to lead a project to develop a Competency Framework for the nuclear industry and an innovative skills solution to provide a standardised approach to skills assessment, development and recognition across the sector.
Through consultation and engagement with numerous sector organisations (25+), agency supply companies, individual contractors working in the sector and other key stakeholders (e.g. Regulators) and working in partnership with an internal client team and key suppliers (e.g. IT systems development company) we developed a Competence Framework which sets standards for excellence across the industry. We led the development of the Core Knowledge and Behavioural competencies and facilitated groups of industry subject matter experts to develop technical competencies. A secure online IT solution was developed to house the competencies and provide an innovative tool for those working in the sector to assess, verify and record an individual’s competence, training and qualifications.
Impact on client’s business
The industry has recognised the following benefits:
- Facilitated effective working between companies by providing a ‘common language’ of competence.
- Supported organisations to demonstrate their workforce is competent and meet Regulatory requirements.
- Made visible industry standards.
- Increased flexibility and mobility across the sector.
- Helped individuals and employers identify skill strengths and gaps.